Monday, December 8, 2008

Virtual Worlds Loved By Elementary Kids- Woogi World

Woogi World first came to our attention when we realized the adolescents of our community was becoming addicted to the Internet. Everywhere we would go, there would be products for children to use on the Internet. I would see commercials all over the Internet and friends and I were talking about how our little sisters and brothers spend hours playing Webkinz and other online games.

As a school project, we were learning about digital citizenship. As I talked with my team, our biggest fear was the issue of young children playing on the internet and not understanding the security problems of the Internet. We chose the fourth grade class and took it as a mission to teach them about digital citizenship. They played a series of games and missions located on the web site. The kids were very excited. They had fun and learned how to be great digital citizens. My group members encouraged the children to stay interested in Woogi World and listen to the message and lesson out of the missions.

Addiction was another thing that came to our attention. (Last year some of the fourth graders admitted to text messaging over 400 text messages a day on their cell phones! That's crazy!) We really wanted to emphasize on that subject. Lucky for us, Woogi World had a mission based on balance. It taught the children to keep balance between family, Internet, and service. This was amazing! My group was overjoyed with the outcome of the project. We are glad the kids have found the correct ways to act on the Internet. Woogi World is great and I am very glad the children have found this.

5 comments:

Durff said...

My middle schoolers love Woogi World - do me a favor-go up to Miss Vicki right now and tell her what a great teacher she is. Thanks.

Podblack said...

What a brilliant project! I guess the popularity of shows like Gossip Girl also prompt the idea of being continually texting and chatting. Are the kids also interested in the old-style writing letters or even crafting an email instead of zipping out short notes?

woogimeister said...

I just did. Thanks!

woogimeister said...

Thank You! I agree that shows like Gossip Girl make children text and speak to each other over the phone. A few use IM. Not many kids were interested in old- style letters. I am glad they have learned how to do it safely @ Podblack.

Splot said...

I work for Woogi World, and I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen yet. Awesome, keep it up! :)